|Qualification type:||Advanced Apprenticeship|
|Start date||September 2018|
As an apprentice, you will:
- be in full time employment
- gain a nationally recognised qualification
- get hands-on experience to help you develop the skills you need to kick start a successful career.
On the job training, this is usually 4 days per week, is structured and agreed with your employer to ensure you learn the right skills.
Off the job training is arranged for you at college. You will complete this training on a day release basis, typically over one day per week.
If you are already with an employer, then an Apprenticeship is an ideal work-based learning qualification. It is an ideal way for you to ‘earn whilst you learn!’
If you have not achieved a C grade or above in English or maths, you will as part of your course be required to work towards this as part of your study programme.
To develop your employability opportunities you may also be given enrichment classes. This may focus upon additional qualifications, industrial updating and career preparation.
* This Apprenticeship can be delivered through Darlington College or CITB.
You will require 5 GCSEs with 4 points or C grade and above, including 4 points or C grade in GCSE maths and English, or an appropriate Level 2 Bricklaying qualification (at a merit if graded) and a satisfactory school report.
There are a number of ways for you to enter an Apprenticeship programme. You could progress on to one from any of these routes:
- GCSEs achieved in school or college
- Experience Construction Initiative
- Pathways to Construction
- Young Apprenticeship Scheme in Construction (14-16)
- Construction and Built Environment Diploma (14-19)
- Functional Skills in English and maths
- Key Skills in Application of Number and Communication
- Foundation Learning Tier (a craft occupation at Level 1)
- Women and Work Sector Pathways Initiative (W&WSPI)
- Construction Youth Trust which supports young people's journey to work
- Skills for Work Construction Crafts courses
- National Progression Award (prevocational or pre-apprenticeship courses) at college
- Get Ready for Work or Training for Work programmes
- Projects like Youthbuild which support young people's journey to work.
You'll also need to have a suitable level of physical fitness to do some jobs as they involve moving and handling resources, placing and fixing materials.
To apply for this course please click the apply button and complete the online application form. If you have any queries with regards to your application or would like further information and support please contact us on 01325 503030.
Within this apprenticeship framework you will cover a series of units including:
NVQ Diploma in Trowel Trades
- Erecting masonry structures in the workplace
- Setting out masonry structures in the workplace
- Placing and finishing no specialist concrete in the workplace
- Setting out complex masonry structure in the workplace
- Erecting complex masonry structure in the workplace
- Confirming the occupational method of work in the workplace
- Confirming work activities and resources for an occupational work area in the workplace
- Developing and maintaining good occupational working relationships in the workplace
- Conforming to general health, safety and welfare in the workplace.
Within the Level 3 Diploma in Bricklaying, which is completed whilst at college, you will complete units such as:
- Analyse technical information, qualities and communication with others
- Analyse the construction industry and the built environment
- Construct chimneys and fireplace structures
- Construct complex masonry structures
- Construct decorative features
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Repair and maintain masonry structures.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Health and safety are of paramount importance in the construction industry and we place a great emphasis on this part of your education. If you enrol on, and undertake any course in the construction department you will be required to provide and wear at all times (in the college site area and whilst surveying) mandatory PPE as follows:
- Approved protective footwear with ankle support (Rigger type boots are not allowed)
- Approved safety glasses
- Approved hi-visibility vest
It is also expected that you will attend college in suitable work wear / clothes; it will be possible to order this directly with suppliers during college enrolment.
A Level 3 apprentice could continue to higher education at college or university. Alternatively, you could start to build a sustainable career in a reputable trade.
Most apprentices follow a Traditional Apprenticeship route, which combines college attendance with learning on site.
As part of your apprenticeship, you will achieve an NVQ which is the main qualification to show you can do your job. You can also use this to qualify for one of the industry card schemes, which are essential for getting on site.
The following qualifications will also be part of your apprenticeship:
- England - NVQ Diploma, Functional or Key Skills and Employment Rights and Responsibilities
CITB-Construction Skills provides the best practical support to make everything as simple as possible. They can help with costs and advice by assigning one of their apprenticeship officers to make it as easy as possible.
CITB-Construction Skills do not offer employment, but can offer you guidance about looking for work and notify you of any vacancies that they are aware of.
Once a construction company offers you an apprenticeship you can get on with earning and learning.
Here at the college we have outstanding support. Our support staff are dedicated to providing you with all the help and guidance you may need throughout your college journey.
You might need help and advice on a wide range of issues such as childcare, counselling and additional learning support. For more information on any aspect of student support contact the Course and Information Team, who will direct your call to the appropriate member of the college support team, call: 01325 503030.
If you have any questions about this course, send us a message using the form below.