Plumbing InstallationPrint Page
|Start date||September 2018|
“The plumbing industry is a basic and substantial part of every developed economy. The word derives from the Latin plumbum for lead, as the first effective pipes used in Roman era were lead pipes.”
“The creation of modern plumbing with its delivery of clean water and removal of waste is credited with being one of the single most important inventions ever. Toilets, and the delivery of clean water into homes, are widely acknowledged to have saved more lives than anything else in the world, including modern medicine and vaccines.” (Source: https://www.safeplumbing.org/what-is-safeplumbing/by-the-numbers/timeline)
“A total of 161,110 construction vacancies in plumbing and heating, ventilation and air conditioning (which includes plumbers) will be needed between 2017 - 2021, according to the latest Construction Skills Network research (LMI).“
“Average salaries are in the region of £11,000.00 to £35,000.00. Salaries will vary depending on location / employer.”
(Source: https://www.goconstruct.org/construction-jobs/career-explorer/plumber/ )
Plumbers are always in demand and are needed on a huge variety of projects to install systems in new buildings and fix or maintain existing ones.
Typical duties include:
- Installing basic cold water, hot water, sanitation (toilets), rainwater harvesters, central heating systems and sheet lead systems
- Installing domestic fuel-burning appliances using gas, oil or solid fuel
- Designing systems
- Planning work activities
- Improving business products
- Supervising other people
This plumbing qualification is for those wanting to enter the plumbing industry. It gives you the opportunity to pick up some core skills and knowledge and gives you the opportunity to progress onto our Level 2 Plumbing Installation qualifications.
The study programme of the Level 1 Diploma in Plumbing will consist of five key elements which you will need to complete:
- Main qualification
- Individual and group tutorial sessions
- Industry related work placement (if appropriate)
- Development of English and mathematics. You will be required to undertake a formal qualification if you have not already achieved English and/or maths at Level 2.
- Development of enterprise and employability skills.
Most teaching and learning is workshop based. Students will be assessed by short practical and related knowledge assessments on each related unit of the course. When a given number of units have been successfully being completed the qualification can be achieved.
Disclaimer: This is subject to change and courses running will be subject to the correct number of student enrolling.
There are no formal entry requirements, but it is essential that you have a keen interest in plumbing.
You will be required to attend an interview at the college for all courses and Apprenticeships and we will request a school or college report.
To apply for this course please click the apply button and complete the online application form. If you have any queries with regards to your application or would like further information and support please contact us on 01325 503030.
This is a practical and theory based course, where you will learn through underpinning theory sessions. Practical assignments are carried out in the college site area where you will learn key principles. This course is supported by individual and group tutorial sessions.
It is also expected that you will attend college in suitable work wear /clothes; it will be possible to order this directly with suppliers during college enrolment.
You will study:
- Structure of the construction industry
- Fundamental safe working practices
- Environmental and sustainability measures in domestic dwellings
- Site preparation for working in the construction industry
- Above ground drainage
- Copper pipework
- Plastic pressure pipework
- Low carbon steel pipework
- Installation, repair and maintenance of plumbing systems
- Plumbing science
* These units may be subject to change and are only representative at this point, however we keep these as up to date as possible. You will be provided with a finalised full course overview at Connecting to College.
You will undertake graded assessments through a range of methods including:
- Practical tasks
- Paper based tests
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Health and safety are of paramount importance in the construction industry and we place great emphasis on this part of your education. If you enrol on, and undertake any course in the construction department you will be provided with and required to wear at all times (within the college workshop area) mandatory PPE as follows:
1) Approved protective footwear with ankle support (Rigger type boots are not allowed)
2) Approved safety glasses
3) Approved hi-visibility vest
This course can help in the process of gaining employment within the construction industry, to begin an Apprenticeship within plumbing, or you could progress onto the Plumbing Level 2 full time qualification.
- Newly trained plumbers can earn in the region of £11,000 - £15,000
- Trained with experience plumbers can earn in the region of £16,000 - £28,000
- Senior/master crafts plumbers can earn in the region of £27,000 - £31,000
- Self-employed plumbers set their own pay rates
Salaries depend on location, employer and any overtime you may do.
Darlington College offers a wide range of support including careers guidance, financial assistance, additional learning support, childcare and many more. For more information on any aspect of student support contact the Student Services Team on 01325 503030 and they will direct your call to the appropriate college support team.
This course is free if you are 16-18 years of age on August 31 of the calendar year in which you begin your studies. If you are 19+ years of age fees may apply. However help may be available. To see if you can receive any funding call our Student Services Team on 01325 503030.
Course fees are payable to Darlington College. Registration and membership fees may be payable. All course fees are per year.
Here at the college we have outstanding support. Our support staff are dedicated to providing you with all the help and guidance you may need throughout your college journey.
You might need help and advice on a wide range of issues such as childcare, counselling and additional learning support. For more information on any aspect of student support contact the Course and Information Team, who will direct your call to the appropriate member of the college support team, call: 01325 503030.
If you have any questions about this course, send us a message using the form below.