Darlington College offers a range of community learning provision in collaboration with other members of the Darlington Community Learning PartnershipPrint Page
We are committed to an integrated partnership approach to the provision of community learning which is consistent with SFA / BIS priorities and requirements, (particularly those described in “New challenges, New Chances. Further Education and Skills Reform Plan: Building a World Class Skills System (Department for Business Innovation and Skills, 1 December 2010), and agree to support one another as this approach is pursued.
All partners agree:
- To share information about their current and planned provision freely and without prejudice so that the totality of provision across Darlington can be reviewed on a regular basis
- To continue to work together to assess community needs and identify and prioritise responses to unmet need
- To share approaches and work together to involve individuals and communities
- To plan provision collaboratively in order to maximise opportunities and facilitate progression for participants
- To work together to ensure a consistent approach across Darlington
- To share approaches to quality standards and work together to ensure consistency and support new providers
- To work closely with Children’s Centres and other community venues
- Where appropriate , to link to other initiatives or projects such as “troubled families
- To respect institutional autonomy and the financial circumstances of members but hold true to the principles of good integrated partnership working
- To share information and approaches so that any changes to funding regimes and / or SFA / BIS priorities and requirements may be anticipated to ensure appropriate levels of stability but maximum benefit to (potential) participants in Darlington
- To develop a statement of priorities and working practices to clarify the approach to targeted and universal provision and “Pound-Plus”
- To encourage other providers to commit to the Partnership
- To review this Memorandum of Understanding on an Annual Basis
Darlington Community Learning Partnership Priority Groups
- Neighbourhoods with participation rates significantly below the local average and with high levels of basic and other skills needs including Family Learning designed to have learning outcomes for both parents/carers and their children
- Provision for people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities including adults with mental health issues
- Provision that will impact positively on people’s quality of life, health and well-being
- Older adults
- Adults from Black and Minority Ethnic backgrounds
- Work related Skills eg IT, Literacy, Numeracy and work-related personal skills with a focus on progression into further learning and/or work.
- Work Clubs looking at CV development, interview techniques, job search, personal impact etc.
- Provision designed to help participants to run their own businesses.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Community capacity building provision eg volunteer development provision, increasing civic participation and mentoring.
- Capacity building for community and voluntary organisations to be able to deliver learning.
- Vocational sector specific provision that provides a gateway (first step) to local employment opportunities.
- 1 to 1 Mentoring to support effective transition between levels of learning and work.
Provision at Darlington College:
Darlington College continues to provide a range of full and part time provision to help meet the identified needs within the Community Partnership, courses include:
- Functional Skills development in mathematics for members of the local reservist territorial army
- ESOL for community members on Job Seekers Allowance
- Development of reading, writing and speaking and listening skills for BME parents at a local primary to school to help them support their own children’s education
- Development of basic skills for members of the MoD who are approaching retirement and who need to up-skill to re-enter the civilian workforce
If you have any questions or thoughts don't hesitate to let us know!