Disclosure and Barring Service CheckPrint Page
Please note that some courses, especially in the Health and Social Care, and Childcare sectors, may require you to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service Check as part of the process but you will be advised by our Admissions Team if this is the case.
Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly CRB Check)
The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) is now called the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) – CRB checks are now called DBS checks.
Why do I need a Disclosure?
A “Disclosure Application” form replaces the “Police Check” and is an information service provided by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
It is a requirement of the law that all persons wishing to take up employment in the health or childcare industry are checked to an enhanced standard to reveal any previous convictions, warnings, cautions or reprimands. To enable you to have the full experience of the programme of your choice and go out on work placement you will need to complete a Disclosure Application form. The DBS is committed to full compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This means that your rights under the Act will be upheld, and your data will be stored securely.
It is essential for you to complete Sections A to H and return to us on the day of interview. It is also critical that when you attend the college for your interview you bring the following:-
- Your original Birth Certificate (issued within 12 months of your birth)
- Marriage Certificate and or Driving Licence (if applicable)
- Proof of current address e.g. Bank Statement, household bill etc
- National Insurance Number
- Payment of £44
Only original documents will be accepted.
How much will it cost?
A fee of £44 is made to the DBS for an enhanced Disclosure Certificate. Please ensure that when you come to college for your interview you have either £44 in cash or a cheque made payable to Darlington College. The college will then transfer the fees across to the DBS. The DBS reserve the right to increase this fee at any time without prior warning.
Should you not achieve the required examination result and be placed on an alternative programme of study which does not require a DBS the payment made is non-refundable.
Your Disclosure Application Form will not be processed until the college receives this payment.
Completion of the Form
To complete the Disclosure form you will need the following:-
- A black ball-point pen
- Details from your birth certificate – or if you were born outside of the UK, a similar document registering your birth
- Your National Insurance number – if you are under 16 years of age you should enter your Child Reference number, if you know it. This can be found on Child Benefit documentation
- Full postal addresses of where you’ve lived during the past 5 years
- Details of the position you are applying for e.g. Student
- A preferred contact number and time you may be contacted
- Details of a referee – someone who has known you for at least 2 years and who is resident in the UK – please ask the person for permission before you complete the form
Your form will be scanned automatically. So please help us by completing it in a way that our computers can read, as follows:-
- Black ink throughout the form
- Block capitals only
- Boxes are marked on the form to show you where to write. Use one letter or number for each box and make sure that you do not write over the edges of the box
- Mark choices in the boxes indicated with a cross not a tick as shown below
- Leave an empty box between words – but NOT between the postcodes or telephone numbers.
|Home Telephone Number||0||1||2||1||2||2||1||2||2||2|
- If you do go wrong – score through any words
- Do not use correction fluid on the form
Section A This section should be completed in full.
Section B This section should contain the following:-
Section C Please complete where applicable.
Section D If you need more space use a continuation sheet (black sheet of paper) and attach it to the back of the form. Please ensure that your name and the form reference number are noted on any continuation sheets used.
Section E Leave blank.
Section F Leave blank.
Section G Leave blank.
Section H Please read this section carefully, complete and sign.
You have now completed your section of the form. The form should now be returned to your tutor/interviewer or the college at the address given in Section B.
The DBS staff can help with any enquiries that you may have. You can contact them on 0870 9090811, between 8am and 10am weekdays, 10am and 6pm weekends.
For more information on the Disclosure and Barring Service visit their government website at www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check.
If you have any questions or thoughts don't hesitate to let us know!