Print Page

What can I study at Darlington College?

A: You can find details of all our courses on the website. Go to the ‘search’ box on the left of this page, select ‘courses’ and type in a subject or keyword, e.g. ‘art’. 

How do I find out which courses are right for me?

A: Check out the ‘course search’ page. 

I want to go to university, should I study A Levels?

Some students have started from entry level courses and progressed onto higher level courses to get a university place, so there are routes for everyone. Universities have different entry requirements for each course – published on www.ucas.com

Most accept BTEC nationals with good grades instead of A levels, but check for any other specific requirements. Universities use UCAS points – BTEC National Extended Diplomas can be worth up to 420 points, equivalent to three A levels at A* grade, which enough to get into some very well-respected universities.

Can I apply for more than one course?

A: Yes, but bear in mind that it isn’t always possible to study two courses at the same time due to timetable clashes. You will not be able to study two full time courses at once, but you may be able to study a part time or short course alongside your full time course.

When should I apply for a full time course?

A: If you’re a student applying for a full time course lasting one year or more, you will need to apply before 31st July for entry in September.

Don’t worry – if you haven’t applied by this date you may still be able to get on a course, subject to availability. Come along during our enrolment period to find out what we have available and enrol directly. Enrolment can be very busy, so find out how and when to enrol and what you will need to bring with you.

I am an international student, can I apply for a course at Darlington College?

A: Unfortunately we are unable to accept applications for full time courses from international students.

I’m having trouble submitting my online application, can you help?

A: Yes. First, check that you haven’t used characters such as brackets and hyphens as they can cause problems. If you’re still having problems you can call the Admissions Team on 01325 503035. 

I’ve changed my mind about which course I want to do but I’ve already submitted my application. Can you help?

A: Yes – call the Admissions Team on 01325 503035 for advice. You may not need to submit another application form. 

When can I enrol for my course?

A: If you’re a home student applying for a 16-18 full time course, we’ll contact you with a specific date to come in and enrol. This is usually the same week in August that GCSE results are announced.

You’ve sent me a letter asking me to enrol but I’m on holiday that week, what should I do?

A: Please contact the Admissions Team on 01325 503035 so we can look at other dates for you to enrol. You need to do this as soon as possible to make sure you keep your place on your course. 

Do I need to pay course fees?

A: If you’re aged 16-18 you won’t have to pay any course or exam fees at Darlington College. You could also be eligible for additional funding. Find out more about funding your studies. 

Is there any financial support I can get when attending college?

A: Yes – all students are entitled to make an application for student finance. This can provide help with costs related to attending college, such as travel expenses and kit/equipment. All Student Finance applications are means tested and your gross household income, including benefits, must not exceed £21,000.*

All applicants who have indicated on their online application form that they require financial support will be contacted by our Student Finance Team. You can also pick up a Student Finance form from our Student Services Centre at our Darlington Campus.

* Subject to change for 2014-15 applicants.

I have a learning disability and/or difficulty. What support is available to me?

We offer a wide range of support. For more information visit our Additional Learning Support Team.

Which days of the week will I need to come in to college?

A: If you’re applying for a full time course, your tutor will be able to give you an idea when you come for your assessment or interview. Your timetable will be given to you on your first day of term in September. If you’re applying for a part time course they can chat to you about it at enrolment. 

I’ve done better / worse in my exams than I expected, can I change the level of a course I’ve been offered a place on?

A: Yes, there’s no problem with this. Just come along at the time given in your enrolment letter and we can advise you on the right course to match your results. 

I needed particular grades to enrol on my course/s but I haven’t achieved them, will I still be able to do my course?

A: Don’t worry, you will still have a place at the college and you may still be able to enrol on your chosen course. Just come along to college at the time on your enrolment letter and we can help you then.

When are your open evenings?

A: You can find details of open days and evenings on the open events page.

If I don’t like my course, can I change?

You should talk to your Course Tutor as soon as possible. It may be possible to transfer to another course if it’s early in the academic year (usually within the first 4 weeks) and there is space available on the other course. 

Still not found the answer to your question?

You can use this form to send an enquiry to our Course and Information Team.

Enquiry Form

If you have any questions or thoughts don't hesitate to let us know!

No Upcoming Events
Stay Connected

19 hours ago"RT @JSchofieldTrust: Not forgetting our thanks to the continued support of @IanJSherwood of @NBCNews London bureau. His support to young jo…"

More Videos ›