Travel and TourismPrint Page
|Start date||4th September 2018|
The BTEC Level 1 Diploma in Travel and Tourism programme is a great way to start your career. It enables you to develop the skills and confidence to progress in college and into work. You’ll learn about effective customer service and gain skills in setting up travel and tourism displays, planning trips and visits in the UK and abroad, and working as part of a team as cabin crew and overseas resort representatives. You will develop a wide range of skills in travel and tourism as well as gaining qualifications in English and maths.
It allows you unique opportunities to travel to places within the UK and Europe as part of the course to gain real life experience. Previous trips have been in the UK and included Forbidden Corner, Beamish Museum, Flamingo Land and York's Christmas Market.*
This course is ideally designed for 16-18 year old school leavers.
The BTEC Level 1 Diploma study programme will consist of the following key elements which you will need to complete:
· Main qualification – as above
· Individual and group tutorial sessions
· Development of English and mathematics
· Development of enterprise and employability skills
Disclaimer: While every effort is made to ensure complete accuracy the college reserves the right to make changes to study programmes where appropriate. The college reserves the right to not run this programme if insufficient students enrol.
* You will be required to participate in trips and visits which may incur costs. You be notified of any trips and visits in a timely manner.
There are no entry requirements, although entry on to this course will be subject to a successful interview at the college.
If you're passionate about travelling, have good people skills and the will to succeed, then this is the course for you.
To apply for this course please click the apply button and complete the online application form. If you have any queries with regards to your application or would like further information and support please contact us on 01325 503030.
The mandatory units are:
- The UK Travel Industry
- The UK Tourism Industry
- Customer Service in Travel and Tourism
- Location Geography
Other optional units are likely to be*:
- Package Travel and Tourism Products and Services
- UK Travel and Tourism Destinations
- Recommending Holidays to Suit Customer Needs
- Worldwide Travel and Tourism Destinations
- The Role of Overseas Resort Representatives
- Travel and Tourism Itineraries
- Preparing for Employment in Travel and Tourism
* These units may be subject to change and are only representative at this time. We do endeavor to keep our units as accurate as possible. You will be provided with a finalised full course overview at Connecting to College.
The assessment is portfolio based and will include a range of tasks. Some of these will be practical assessments, role plays, written reports, presentations and map work.
Students who have studied this course usually progress on to our Level 2 tourism course.
With further training you can look for jobs in travel agencies, airline customer services, hospitality and tour operators.
Darlington College offers a wide range of support including careers guidance, financial assistance, additional learning support, childcare and many more. For more information on any aspect of student support contact the Student Services Team on 01325 503030 and they will direct your call to the appropriate college support team.
Full time further education course tuition fees are free if you are 16-18 years of age on August 31 of the calendar year in which you begin your studies, however if you are 19 years or over tuition fees will apply.
Here at the college we have outstanding support. Our support staff are dedicated to providing you with all the help and guidance you may need throughout your college journey.
You might need help and advice on a wide range of issues such as childcare, counselling and additional learning support. For more information on any aspect of student support contact the Course and Information Team, who will direct your call to the appropriate member of the college support team, call: 01325 503030.
If you have any questions about this course, send us a message using the form below.